Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Weapon We Have Is Love

I'm finally sitting down with something to blog about. The last 4ish months I have been really busy planning an event that FINALLY took place this past weekend in Potosi,MO (about 2 hours outside St. Louis). The event was called Wrockstock Spooktacular and it was a benefit for The Harry Potter Alliance (http://thehpalliance.org/) I can't figure out how to do the hyperlinks right now as it's been awhile since I've used this and it's sort of late so I can't call Misti. The HP Alliance is a group that uses the imagery from Harry Potter to draw parallels in todays world relating to social justice issues like poverty,the genocide in Darfu,AIDS, and the environment. One of my best friends Abby had the brilliant idea some months ago to put on a weekend camp with wizard wrock bands (bands that sing about Harry Potter) and raise money for the HPA. Being in Abby's core group of friends I naturally hopped right on board with the planning. This was possibly the best experience of my life. Not only did we have a blast goofing of to wrock music but I made some amazing friends and helped with a good cause. I got to know the creator of The Harry Potter Alliance -Andrew- pretty well. I picked him up from the airport in St. Louis (along with some others that I'll mention later) and we ended up being bunkmates in the cabin at camp. Along with Andrew I picked up Maria, Tonks, and Cori-none of whom I knew before the even- and we all became fast friends. It was a 2 hour drive to the camp and 2 hours back to the airport so we had plenty of time to become chummy. They all (minus Maria who lives in Philly) live in Boston so I am going up there the second weekend of December for The Yule Balls (2 more Harry Potter events). I know you guys all think I'm insane for being so into Harry Potter but I have made some amazing friends through this "scene" that I will never forget. Naturally- I have a ton of photos so I'm going to post a few here:

This is a band called The Remus Lupins. They are one of my favorite Wizard Wrock bands and I've seen them play a few times. They always put on a really good show.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is my new friend and bunkmate Andrew-the creator/founder of The Harry Potter Alliance. He colored his hair pink for some crazy reason (it was costume night) and he was wearing my tie. At least I got it back.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is a band called Draco and the Malfoys. They act like Slytherins on stage but are possibly the nicest guys out there.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

There's a band called Harry and the Potters who basically started the whole wizard wrock scene. They didn't play but one of the members was there. They are famous for closing their shows with a song called "The Weapon" which is about love and how it is the weapon we can use to defeat the evils in this world. Its the main theme of the Harry Potter series. The last night the last band had all the wizard wrockers there (even if they hadn't played) get on stage and see it. It was the most amazing of sites.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

These are two more of my cabinmates Ty and Shawn O. They have a band called Tom Riddle and Friends and they are hilarious.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is me and my goblin sidekick-Maria. We were in charge of getting all the behind the scenes stuff set up for the event. Maria and I (and her fiance Nathan) had quite a good time goofing off around camp.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is Andrew,Tonks, and I when Andrew was getting ready to fly back to Boston. There were 5 of us in our little traveling crew that we like to now call "A-Slack's Traveling Crew" but only Tonks and I got to see Andrew off.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here are a few pretty shots I got around camp. The leaves had started to change (unlike in GA at the time) and I loved taking photos of them.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Last but not least here is a video of the finale of the song "The Weapon". I guess I have made up for the lack of blogs with the length of this one. I'll try and keep it up better..if not- I'll at least blog when I get back from Boston next month :)

2 comments:

Misti said...

Great pictures! I especially love the second one of the trees. Is that fog?
Maybe you could go into charity event planning full time if you really enjoyed it.

Deb "DJ" said...

Great pics Haley! By the way...we started a blog so maybe you can help me with it.

porterhappenings.blogspot.com